Well, what have we got here?! A new prerelease firmware update for the WD TV Live, that’s what. WD was pretty fond of releasing these “prerelease” updates for the older WD TV, and with 1.02.14, the new WD TV Live has joined in on the official unofficial firmware update fun!
And by fun, I mean lots and lots of resolved issues according to the release notes (pdf). More specifically, the not-quite-ready-for-prime-time update addresses:
· Added Windows 7 Support.
· Added larger subtitle font size options.
· Added European language input for keyboard.
· Added serial and part number to About page.
· Added support for embedded subtitles in mpg files.
· Added new category in Photo/Video to view by date.
· Added a field in network settings for changing the workgroup name.
· Added ability to play a video from the preview window without restarting.
· Added username/password feature for SAMBA security.
· Added Wireless LAN strength bar in Network info page.
· Changed default browsing by date to start with the latest files first.
· Changed video browse default to “Preview Mode” instead of thumbnail mode.
· Corrected several language translations issues.
· Resolved issues with subtitle sync adjustment.
· Resolved abnormal display of BMP photos through a media server.
· Resolved Audio channel information shows up in AutoPlay mode.
· Resolved Blu-ray ISO subtitle not displaying throughout VIDEO playback.
· Resolved Blu-ray slow playback across SAMBA.
· Resolved camera files not enumerating correctly in mass storage.
· Resolved login issue with SAMBA after exiting screen saver.
· Resolved DVR-MS black screen problem on resume after forward and rewind.
· Resolved external sub/idx subtitles flashbacking issue.
· Resolved playback across media server failures.
· Resolved hard drive icon from disappearing in the video list under preview mode.
· Resolved issue of HDMI becoming jittery after long time play.
· Resolved M4V files not supporting fast forward and rewind.
· Resolved manual network addressing issue.
· Resolved missing shuffle & repeat icon for slideshow within Flickr.
· Resolved music search not displaying playlist names.
· Resolved network devices (SAMBA) disappearing without warning.
· Resolved PTP issue of unsupported video file formats DX6490,DIMAGE Z2 & X1, Optio
555 and DMC-FX2.
· Resolved Sony Walkman not showing photos within directory.
· Resolved unsupported file formats not showing an error message.
· Resolved video playback overscan issue for CRT TVs.
· Resolved WIFI Belkin F6D4050 with RAlink 3070 chip and Linksys WUSUB100 Ver 2.
· Resolved WIFI ZyXel NWD-270N dongle not enumerating.
You know, just a few “fixes.” Also, the same old disclaimer about using prerelease firmware updates still applies:
This is a prerelease version of the firmware. Feel free to install it but be aware this is beta firmware we are still testing so use it at your own risk. If you are not comfortable with this, please wait for the final version.
I’ve yet to update my Live as the prerelease requires a manual installation (as opposed to the over-the-air via WiFi installs available for final release firmware updates). For more on installing 1.02.14, check out the instructions over here.