I got some helpful advice from my hosting company (of all places) with regards to making Boilr (this WordPress powered site) a bit quicker on its toes.
Since I am already using the great WP-Cache plugin (not WP-SuperCache as it interferes with some of the “real-time” plugins I’ve got enabled), I was looking for another way to speed up Boilr’s loading times. The tech recommended that I should regularly “repair” and “optimize” the WordPress MySQL database.
Here are the directions:
1. It’s always a good idea to save a backup copy of your database before doing anything to it
2. Login to “phpMyAdmin” (ask your hosting service if you don’t know how)
3. On the left hand side, select the database
4. Scroll to the bottom of the database (that is now populated with tables)
5. Select the option that says “Check All”
6. Just to the right, there is a box that says “With Selected” click on that and choose “repair”
7. You should get a page that says “OK” listed next to each table.
8. When done, look up to the top of the page, and click on the “structure” tab.
9. This will take you back to step 6 and again repeat this process, but this time use the word “Optimize” in the drop down menu.
10. You should see now the same list as in step 7. You’re done!
In general, you should notice a slight decrease in your site’s loading time (@ first – I did) and even if you don’t, at worse, this will still help your site run “smoother.”